Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lazy Sunday in Annapolis

This past Sunday was my mom's 50th birthday, and my dad, brother, sister, and I pulled out all the stops in celebrating. She requested dinner at The Melting Pot - and we delivered. Instead of making reservations at the location down the road, though, my dad booked a waterfront suite and dinner in Annapolis, MD. We decorated the room, set up her gifts, and surprised her with they night away. Going to be tough to top next year.

After a night of milestone birthday shenanigans, we were left with a lazy Sunday morning to explore downtown Annapolis. Although I've lived in Maryland for 22 years, this was only my second time visiting our state capital, and it definitely made me want to return!

The lure of Annapolis, for me at least, was the quaintness of it all. The city is small, but there is still more than enough to do. There are plenty of historical buildings to gawk at, and even a short visit gives you a great feel for the Chesapeake Bay culture. Not to mention, the view of the water is beautiful in the morning : )


Not event the most amazing view in the world can distract you from 20F temps, and after few minutes we were definitely ready to grab some food. We were pretty desperate and super close to settling on a Starbucks bagel and coffee, but we held out and got to experience Chick and Ruth's Delly.



We knew we were in for a treat when we walked into the packed restaurant. I didn't get to take any pictures of my lump crab meat eggs Benedict, but  I would definitely rec commend it. not health food,  it was best kind of greasy. They are famous for their blue crab omelettes, 6-lb milkshakes, and pledge of allegiance every morning (which we got to participate in!)

We rolled out of Chick and Ruth's in the patriotic mood and headed straight to Maryland State House. It is open to the public for "self guided tours" and we walked around for a bit and admired the colonial architecture and decor. We took the long way back to the hotel, meandering through historical neighborhoods and unique shops. My favorite was a spice and tea store - I went home with a container of Moroccan Curry.


The visit was short, but sweet. I plan on visiting again for a little longer when it warms up in the spring. Would love to go out to the bars too next time I get the chance.

until next time..... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment