Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Buddha Bowls, Part of a Prettier Dinner

I first heard of the "Buddha bowl" concept when browsing Pinterest for new recipe ideas. As far as I could tell, they didn't have much in common except for being chock full of veggies and extremely Instagram-worthy.

Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl
 Picture and recipe from: http://sweetpotatosoul.com/2015/05/everyday-buddha-bowl.html

I did some research quick Googling and came up with definitions all over the spectrum. A mindfulness blog described the term as a "bowl filled with simple pure food and enjoyed with deep gratitude" and I think Urban Dictionary was talking about a different kind of bowl...
After some browsing, I landed on the conclusion that the "Buddha bowl" trend encompasses any meal that is 1) full of real food, and only real food and 2) in a bowl. I can get behind that. For bonus points, you can make your meal actually look appetizing instead of my usual tasty but unappealing dinners.

I made a couple combinations of Buddha Bowls for dinner this past week, and they were delicious. Filling a bowl with (almost) all veggies forced me to try new combinations, and eat more fresh vegetables than I would usually. I made:

This sweet potato, red onion, chickpea, Tahini, kale and broccoli bowl from Minimalist Baker. The recipe calls for roasting most of the veggies beforehand. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the final product before I started eating :)


My own combination of everything I had in my fridge: baked Siracha marinated tofu, snow peas, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, and some cous-cous.


Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment