Monday, February 22, 2016

DC Bucket List

 I've lived in the DC area for about a year and a half. Although, an Arlington resident, I'm not technically in DC, I'm more than close enough to take advantage of all the city has to offer.

Even though I've been here a while, most of my DC experiences have been running by or on the monuments during marathon training (all the pictures in this post are from my runs). I'm going to be moving away in a few short months, and want to make sure I visit everything I can while I'm still so close.

This DC bucket list is a combination of things I have already done and want to re-visit, as well as things I've been dying to experience for a while.



1. Sunrise at Iwo Jima Memorial
 I spent most mornings this past summer and fall running by the Iwo Jima. I don't think there's a better view of the monuments in the DC area, and have been wanting to pack a breakfast and catch the sunrise from here for a while.


2. Easter Mass at the Lincoln Memorial
The Capital Church of Vienna has hosted this sunrise service for 34 years, and I think it'd be a powerful experience to attend mass with thousands of others at my favorite monument.

3. Glen Echo Park
Glen Echo Park was an amusement park from the early 20th century until the late 1960s, and is now operated by the National Park Service. The last operating ride is a carousel, but there's still the remnants of the old park. Given my love of run-down Americana, this is up there on the top of my list.

4. Vietnamese Food at Eden Center
Eden Center is a Vietnamese-American strip mall in Northern Virginia. It opened in the 80s, and has some of the best Vietnamese food in the area. I've been here for pho once, but there's so many restaurants I feel like I haven't scratched the surface. My mouth is watering looking at this Top 10 Eden Center restaurants list.

5. Sunset from the top of the Kennedy Center
I spend a lot of my time right next to the Kennedy Center, in Foggy Bottom, but have only been there a handful of times. It's free to go up to the rooftop deck, and the view of Georgetown and downtown DC is amazing.

6. Ethiopian Dinner
DC is home to the largest number of Ethiopian expats in the country which, luckily for me, means there are a ton of Ethiopian restaurants here. The Washington Post has a list of it's top picks, and Abay Market isn't too far from me either.

7. Great Falls Hike
Great Falls is actually two hiking trails on either side of the a particularly rocky area of the Potomac, one in Virginia and one in Maryland. I've been here a few times but haven't been since we got the new pup who'd be all over the rock scrambling.

8. Renwick Gallery
The Renwick Gallery is part of the Smithsonian and was closed for two years for renovations. When it opened back up this past fall, it's Wonder exhibit immediately became Insta-famous. My attempt to visit last weekend was thwarted by the snow, so this has yet to be crossed off my list.

9. Doughnut at District Doughnut
Doughnuts are quickly becoming the new cupcake, and I'm completely okay with that. I've heard good things about District Doughnut, but there are also a few other doughnut places I want to check out too. Maybe I'll just have to do a doughnut crawl...

10. Nat's Game
I've been to a few Nationals games, but want to stop by another one this spring.

11. Soul Cycle Class
I've heard so much about Soul Cycle, but can't seem to stomach the high per class price tag. I think it's definitely worth trying once though to see what the hype is about.

12. Shopping at Eastern Market
Eastern Market is a huge flea and food market near Capital Hill. I've been a few times, but there's still so much to see. There's also an amazing used bookstore called Capital Hill Books right around the corner.

13. Sunday Jazz Brunch
I'm not sure if it's a "thing", but ever since I read about the Sunday Jazz Brunch at Georgia Brown's downtown, I've wanted to go. It's a little pricey for me, but it seems like there are a lot of similar regular events in Old Town Alexandria. I'll have to look around some more, but will let you know what I find!

14. Kingman Island Bluegrass & Folk Festival
This outdoor festival on the Anacostia river made the Washingtonian's "DC Bucket List for Locals",  and looks like a great time.

15. $2 Movie Night at Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse
Last but not least, I've been meaning to stop by Arlington Drafthouse's cheap movie night for way too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment