Monday, January 18, 2016

Main Street USA Tour: Evansvlle, IN

Not sure where it came from, but I have a slight obsession with what I classify as  "Small Town America". I like walking through main streets that are slightly past their hey-day and imagining what they used to be like, and I love exploring all of the new stores and restaurants that have taken the place of businesses past. I have dreams of doing a "Main Street USA" road trip one day - this Travel & Leisure article showcases some great ones. Maybe with some bribery I could convince CJ or a sibling to come with...


 
Anyways - I'm not sure if it can be considered a small town, but  I've been traveling to Evansville, IN for work about every six weeks for the past year and have grown pretty affectionate towards it. This week was my last trip there for the foreseeable future, so I took some time to document my favorite parts of the city.


The architecture is stunning. I love the old City Hall pictured above, and this old Greyhound bus station. Apparently it's under renovations to become a burger joint.


I stopped by the infamous Donut Bank (yes, it's a bank themed donut shop) and discovered one of the best foods that has ever graced by taste buds. This beautiful dessert-combo is all donut on the top, cinnamon roll underneath.


One of my favorite regular stops in town is Penny Lane Coffeehouse. The Yelp reviews are a little rough, but I think the charm of the space overshadows any lackluster coffee. I got a chai tea latte and unfortunately passed on these homemade cinnamon rolls.



One awesome trend in Evansville is upscale restaurants built inside old Victorian-era mansions. The décor is beautiful, and vibe of eating inside an old house is a lot of fun. No food pics since it's kind of awkward to snap pictures of your meal with co-workers, but I tried Madeline's Fusion and Sauced. In my opinion, Madeline was pretty pricey for average food, but I loved Sauced. The menu is Italian and features spaghetti and fried chicken. Amazing.


My Powerball ticket didn't pay off, so I guess my Main Street road trip will have to wait a few years. I wouldn't mind crossing paths with Evansville again sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment